Operations Coordinator – Position Description
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Part-Time: 20-24 hours/week
- Time Period: Temporary
- Location: Flexible
About the Organization:
Million Hoodies Movement for Justice is a human rights membership organization founded in the wake of the murder of Trayvon Martin. Our mission is to build next generation human rights leaders to end anti-black racism and systemic violence. We are home to a national network of students and young people in nine local communities, building a movement for human dignity and democracy.
Our members have stopped the criminalization of Black youth from wearing hoodies in public spaces, pushed back efforts to defund HBCUs and other minority serving institutions in North Carolina, launched a sanctuary fund to provide services and support to undocumented students, and brought Million Hoodies to the classroom to teach undergraduate college students about the prison industrial complex.
2017 is going to be a big year for us as we grow our organization. We’re looking for a detail-oriented individual to join our national team to strengthen our core operations and backend administration.
The Operations Coordinator supports the mission of Million Hoodies for Justice (MHJ) by managing finances, merchandising, vendor relations, and supply procurement for the organization.
- Support staff and member travel booking and complete travel and meeting logistics as necessary, including travel reservations, travel memos, and post-trip reimbursements
- Coordinate food and supply orders for staff and chapters
- Manage and order office supplies and maintain inventory
- Maintain the care of the Million Hoodies New York headquarters
- Respond and manage incoming emails and invoices
- Work with bookkeeper/fiscal sponsor to reconcile books on a monthly basis and share reports with staff
- Act as primary liaison with fiscal sponsor on all bookkeeping and financial management needs
- Provide financial reports to staff and board
- Oversee daily financial transactions including purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general cash handling
- Develop and maintain systems for managing Million Hoodies merchandise
- Manage relationships with vendors
- Maintain organizational and personnel records including timesheets and payroll
The ideal MHJ Operations Coordinator will have:
- Deep commitment and enthusiasm for MHJ’s mission and values
- At least three years of experience in office management and bookkeeping, preferably in a nonprofit context with a community-based organization
- Great attention to detail, excellent time management, and proven ability to manage multiple projects
- Enthusiasm for creating systems that help organizations runs effectively and efficiently
- Experience tracking accounts payable and receivable
- Flexibility and ingenuity for working in an evolving, dynamic environment
- Comfort with Microsoft Office and bookkeeping software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience securing and managing vendors and outside contractors
Compensation: Please send salary requirements
Start Date: April 1, 2017
TO APPLY: Please email a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to: Million Hoodies Movement for Justice, Subject: Operations Coordinator Search, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Million Hoodies for Justice is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBT persons, differently-abled people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.